Notation Interchange File Format
Notation Interchange File Format (NIFF) is a binary file format for storage and transfer of musical notation, based on RIFF or RIFX. It was designed as part of a collaborative effort by a number of music software companies with the aim of creating a universal file format for musical notation.
While the NIFF format is still supported by a number of software packages, official development of the format has ceased and it is generally considered to be obsolete.
- NIFF 6a.3 format specification (1998-10-15)
- NIFF 6b format specification (2002-06-11)
- NIFF XML Proposal, including schema and sample file
- NIFFML - the XML representation of NIFF
- NIFFTY - a Java applet for displaying NIFF files on the web
- NIFF to text converter - includes source code in C