- "HLP" redirects here. For other HLP formats, see Category:File formats with extension .hlp, or Help files.
WinHelp is a help file format based on RTF created by Microsoft that exists in several versions and was used in Windows 3.0 up to Windows 95 and NT. Starting with Windows Vista, the format can not be opened without additional software downloads. The format was abandoned to encourage use of the newer CHM (compiled HTML) help format.
There are also WinHelp annotation (.ann) files with annotations of help topics.
- helpdeco → helpfile.txt has information based on reverse-engineering.
- A detailed description of the WinHelp file format
- helpdeco - Decompiler for WinHelp files
- Wine - Includes a WinHelp viewer, with source code
- QWinHelp (untested)
- Microsoft's WinHlp32.exe for Windows 7
- HLP files may be found in collections of old Windows software; e.g. , , , ,