Fractal Image Format
FIF (Fractal Image Format) is a raster image format that uses lossy fractal compression. It is apparently a proprietary format developed by Iterated Systems.
Some FIF files begin with bytes
'F' 'I' 'F' 0x01.
This demo includes FIF files that begin with "
- Genuine Fractals Photoshop plug-in
- Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia licensed FIF for image compression.
- http://users.senet.com.au/~mjbone/Fractals.html → River.fif
- Wikipedia: Fractal compression
- (AltaMira) Fractal Technology (archived)
- Archived web page about discontinued Fractal Imager and Fractal Viewer products
- Atlanta Journal Article about Iterated Systems (1999-04-12)
- Fractal Image Compression, American Scientist (1996 Sept-Oct issue)
- Mathematics Awareness Week - April 1998 - High-level explanation of technology behind the format.